To import questions into Beacon, navigate to Manage / Question Library, first download the template file and save it to a convenient location.
- Click Import Questions icon:
- In the pop-up window, click Template to download the .csv file.
- Fill out the .csv file with all information to be imported.
- Ensure the file is saved as .csv with UTF-8 encoding or the import will not succeed.
- Questions can be imported into all document types that your organization may use.
- There are few restrictions for each library and those restrictions mirror the setup of questions in each library.
- Each row in the file will be imported as one question with the appropriate settings. The table below is a guide for acceptable inputs in each column.
- Click browse or simply drag and drop to attach the .csv file. Then click the Import button to import the questions into the library.
When importing Questions to the library number of Tags, added to the question, is limited to 5.
- Do not delete nor modify the contents of the header row from the template
- Save the file as a .csv UTF-8 (MS Excel 2016 and above have this option as shown below)
- If a column is Required, then the value must be present in each row.
- Quotation marks are not valid and are used below for descriptive purposes only. Including them will result in an error when importing.
Column A, C, and F are the bare minimum for an import
Column Eligible Value (pick one if multiple are listed) Note Template type/ Activity* The name in this field must match one of these or match a custom template type you created: "LPA" / "5S" / "Safety" Required Title Text Optional Question* Text Required Reason Text Optional Reaction Plan Text Optional Response Type* "Pass_Fail" / "Score" / "Free_Form" Required Required "Yes" / "No" Optional, if blank then 'Yes' is selected Photo Input "Off'" / "Optional" / "Required" / "Required_Fail" Optional, if blank then 'Optional' is selected Mitigation "Off" / "Optional" / "On" Optional, defaults to 'On' for Pass/Fail and to ‘Off’ for Score if no value entered under 'Minimum Passing Score' Alternate Responsible Party "Off" / "On" Optional, defaults to 'Off' Score Integer (1-10) Required if Response type is 'Score', must be empty otherwise Minimum passing score Integer (0-Score) Optional, if empty then no pass range is defined. Must be empty if response type is not 'Score' tag1 Text Optional, if the tag does not currently exist, then create it. tag2 Text Optional, if the tag does not currently exist, then create it. tag3 Text Optional, if the tag does not currently exist, then create it. tag4 Text Optional, if the tag does not currently exist, then create it. tag5 Text Optional, if the tag does not currently exist, then create it. Scope Text Optional, must be one of the scopes listed under Admin> Organization> Scopes.
- If your Excel region has semicolons (;) as the default delimiter in CSV files, you will have to convert them to commas (,).On Windows, you can change the List separator setting in the Regional and Language Options as specified on the Office support website:
- Change the separator in a CSV text file
- Click the Windows Start menu.
- Click Control Panel.
- Open the Regional and Language Options dialog box.
- Click the Regional Options Tab.
- Click Customize / Additional settings (Win10).
- Type a new separator in the List separator box.
- Click OK twice.
- Note: this only works if the Decimal symbol is not also designated as comma (in line with the Wikipedia citation above). If it is, Excel will not use comma as the List separator, even if chosen. For many non-United States regions, comma is the default Decimal symbol.